The following Administrative History can be found through the National Archives:
G H Gledhill and Sons Ltd was established by George H Gledhill (supported by his sons, Arthur H Gledhill, Gilbert Gledhill and Walter G Gledhill), to produce his new inventions. Whilst running a millinery business in Northgate, Halifax, in 1886, he invented an automatic cash till and automatic cash displayer.
In 1892, the company moved into the top floor of the Trinity Works on
Harrison Road, Halifax, to manufacture cash tills. He subsequently took over the
whole factory and opened two others in Halifax and one in Huddersfield. The firm
bought Frank Brooks time recording business to form Gledhill-Brook Time
Recorders Ltd in 1912.
During World War 1, the company developed a
bomb-release mechanism. This was fitted as standard to the early bombers of the
Royal Flying Corps and, later, the Royal Air Force. During the 2nd World War,
the company produced a range of military equipment: sun compasses for desert
operations, a field service level for use in road and trench construction, map
measurers, booby traps, tanks and torpedoes.
In 1964, the time-recorder business was sold to the Simplex Time Recorder Company of Gardner, Massachusetts.
The business closed in 1975.