Replacement Gledhill Brook Parts

Walter wrote:

I'm looking for a bit of help and / or advice. My wife's mother kept a Gledhill-Brooks Universal Recorder Time Clock serial number 22247 from a restaurant that her mum & dad used to own years ago. We have put this to a clock repairer who looks after some clocks that we have and they say that the main winding arbour wheel or great wheel or transition wheel, (depending on what people call it) but regardless, it's the 1st wheel in the chain is damaged. The question I would have is, can you advise the best place to look at getting a replacement wheel, or perhaps someone who had a non working clock with a movement that may still have this useable part.

Any help or advice will be most appreciated.

GBLog replied:


We are merely collectors, too. We purchased the Web site name to share our love of these clocks, but are not associated with the company. But we would like to try and help.

My husband has repaired several of our GBs. He has looked at your photos and the case appears to be one we haven't seen before, as though the bottom may have been modified somewhat . . . But that shouldn't matter. 

Okay, the great wheel: we have been able to purchase all of our GB repair parts on The movements are called Empire Movements ( and the parts should be interchangeable. He suggests that you monitor eBay UK and purchase an empire movement, as we've found that they come up quite regularly. Your repairman could then remove the great wheel from your purchase. OR if the new movement seems to be in good nick, you could just pop it into your clock as they usually attach with only about four screws.

Good luck!